Friday, December 08, 2006

Canary Wharf Sky - 3.47pm, 6th December 2006

Canary Wharf Sky - 3.47pm, 6th December 2006
5" x 7", coloured pencil on Arches HP
copyright Katherine Tyrrell

I had intended to post two skies today - both from Wednesday of this week. One which I saw as I was making my cup of tea before sitting down to write my blog in the morning and the second in the afternoon - as I was making yet another cup of tea! Maybe I ought to christen this series "The Tea Interval"?

On Wednesday morning it started off very bleak and then suddenly transformed into a really stunning morning sky of clouds and light. In the afternoon, there was a wonderful slant of very warm yellow light coming from a very low sun to the right of the picture which was making the towers positively gleam. I also found the layered clouds with slight colour changes very attractive.

I'm not happy with what I've produced so far for '6th December morning' drawing but will try and post a reworked version of that one over the weekend. If I can get it right, it's definitely worth waiting for.

I'm having a fabulous time with my coloured pencils - using them in a way I love to do. In fact, it makes me feel like I've 'come home' - confident and grounded - in terms of how I work. I'm also making mistakes along the way but these are largely due to finding that some of the pencils just don't want to mix in the way I want to use them. I'm developing a definitive sky and clouds set at the moment - and it's mostly Polychromos, Lyra Rembandts and some Pablos.

I've created a new page on my website for the series. At the moment I'm structuring it with galleries for morning, afternoon and evening on one page but might give this a rethink as I get more done. I hesitate to show it to you now with only pic in each gallery - but if you take a look I think you can begin to get just a hint of what I'm trying to do wiith these.

Finally, I'm getting some very nice comments about this series which I greatly appreciate. I have to say this is a series which has been planned for some time and it's really good to have got it started - I think maybe some of my pleasure at drawing these skies is showing!

Update on the drawing hand: I'm going to stop these updates as it's become boringly obvious to me that this time progress is going to be very slow. I'll tell you when everything is OK again. However please bear with me re commenting on your blog - I'm limiting comments - but am looking!!!

Links:
Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

  1. lovely soft work, Katherine, very nuanced, sophisticated and subtle.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.