Saturday, February 03, 2007

Drawing a Head - 2nd February 2007

I tried using charcoal on coloured Canson Mi Teintes paper this week in drawing class - so I could use white to do the highlights. Of course, I then completely forgot to add the white charcoal and only noticed when I came to take the photograph. - so I added it in anyway! So all normal charcoal was done in class and then white charcoal was added htis morning (see below for both images).

I remembered exactly where it needed to go as I was making a point of leaving the areas which needed highlights free of charcoal!

For the last half hour I drew a slightly larger image of the model - but holding a four inch thin willow charcoal stick by the end. It makes it more difficult to control but funnily enough drawing quickly and holding the charcoal in this way means you make decisions about what you know to be the essential marks to make. Also drawing straight after spending some time on a drawing makes it much easier to do the second drawing.



(Note - the first two images were taken with flash - hence why you can see the colour of the paper)

Technorati tags: , , , , , ,

2 comments:

  1. It's nice to see your figurative work, Katherine. Nice work. Before I started plein air painting, I painted the figure for two years. I think it's the best way to learn. If you can draw the figure, you can draw anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrific drawing, Katherine. I can see why you forgot the white highlights - your drawing worked even without it! I particularly like the lines and life you've achieve in her hair.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.