Sunday, June 03, 2007

"Drawing a Head" - three in one


Drawing a Head 31st May 2007 (three images)
Maurizio - pen and ink; Natalia #1 - pen and ink; Natalia #2 - pen and ink.
All images approx. 18 " x 12" on Daler Rowney heavy white cartridge paper
copyright Katherine Tyrrell

In my "Drawing a Head" class last week I did three heads, two in pen and ink and one in pencil. Click on an image to see a larger version

I think all my studies of Whistler etchings during May's Whistler Month had got me in the mood for pen and ink and fine line drawing. I really enjoyed doing them and they went really fast. The chap with the dreadlocks took about 45 minutes and the two views of the female model took about 30 minutes each.

They are all quite large, approximately eighteen inches x 12 inches - I find it easier to draw fast when drawing large than when drawing small. How about you?

4 comments:

  1. oh yes, definitely I like to draw fast. My first love for that though is charcoal.

    Your control of the pen and ink is great and I like the free way you've used it - I think you'd enjoy etching, have you ever done any?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No - but I've found a summer school course which I might enrol in. I guess my concerns are largely to do with what I'd need to do it properly and not having the set-up where I can acquire a heavy printing press.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The line work is just great. I like pen and ink and realize the difficulty in sketching quickly and accurately. Nice job, Katherine.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto on all the compliments here Katherine. These are brilliant! Later this evening I plan to have a good study of them! Pen and ink portraits can go flat and expressionless so easily - you have so masterfully avoided that.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.