Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Nominate the Best Art (Place/Landscape) on a Blog in 2010

You are invited to NOMINATE an artwork on an art blog for

The Making a Mark Prize for Best Portrayal of a Place 2010

This prize celebrates and highlights excellence in
creating pictures about places in our environment
Best Picture of the Year 2009 (Place) 

Lazy River  
by Casey Klahn (The Colorist)

ELIGIBILITY
  • The place can be anywhere in the world, in the town or the country, inside or out, on land, on water or in the air. It can be real or imaginary. The inclusion of figures is entirely optional - however the emphasis should be on the place and not the figures (see another MaM the prize re. figures)
  • In 2010, any artist can be nominated who has created a portrayal of a place - real or imaginary - and posted their work to their art or illustrated blog in 2010.
  • 2D artwork is eligible - artwork can be a painting (in any media) or a drawing (in any media) or a fine art print (using any method)
  • Work is NOT eligible if it appears to be be or more of the following:
    • was not completed in 2010
    • has not appeared on an art or illustrated blog in 2010
    • over-reliant on a photograph not taken by the artist
    • subjected to lots of digital manipulation/tweaks (over and above that needed to make it read 'true' on screen)
  • An artist can be nominated more than once - by different people - for different works
  • An artist can be nominated more than once - by different people - for the same work
  • To be shortlisted the nominated artist must agree to their work being displayed on this blog as part of the shortlist.
  • Anonymous nominations are not permitted. In order to nominate you too must have an art or illustrated blog and be capable of being identified by me. (This is to stop spammers!)
  • All nominations must be in English
HOW TO NOMINATE
To nominate - just comment on this blog post providing all the necessary details (see below) before 24th December 2010
  • Your nominations MUST identify:
  • the title of the piece
  • the name of the artist,
  • the name and URL of the blog (eg The Art Blog - http://theartblog.blogspot.com)
  • the date, title and URL of the blog post in which the artwork appears (please provide a link)
  • SAY WHY YOU LIKE THE WORK - this bit is really important so please do the best you can. Remember that nominations are open and transparent and that it's good to share a genuine tribute.
  • You need to ask the artist if their work can be posted on my blog - and let me know what the answer is.
  • An artist can nominate their own work.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
  • Nominations close just after midnight on 24th December.
  • I will then select a shortlist of three works from the nominations prior to posting them on this blog and inviting readers to vote for their favourite artwork.
  • This shortlist of three works then becomes eligible for the overall Making A Mark Prize for best artwork on a blog.
  • Results are published on this blog 30th December
Read Making A Mark: End of Year Review and consult the links below to find out more about the other Making A Mark Awards.
Please also NOMINATE for other MAKING A MARK AWARDS
(see below - links become live as invites are posted)
 Links:

14 comments:

  1. Autumn Malvern Hills - Antony Bridge

    The Pochade Gallery
    http://www.pochadegallery.com/archive/
    Sat Oct 23rd 2010, Autumn Malvern Hills, http://www.pochadegallery.com/painting/1070-Autumn_Malvern_Hills

    This was painted on the most English looking day I have ever seen. Glorious colours, energy from the sun hitting the landscape. I worked fast during this plein air and enjoyed ever moment of it, which is what painting is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for spotting that all important line "An artist can nominate their own work."

    Think of it like entering an art competition! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter's Day
    Jean Lurssen
    November 23, 2010
    http://the-watercolorist.blogspot.com/2010/11/winters-day.html

    I lean towards painting atmospheric watercolors and I wanted to portray the vulnerability of the tree and fence against the looming stormy sky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would normally still be uncomfortable nominating my own work – but I am really passionate about this one:

    Title: “Waiting”
    Artist: Michelle Basic Hendry
    Artscapes – Musings on Art & Life:
    http://www.artscapes.ca/blog
    Sept. 24/10 - New Painting “Waiting”:
    http://www.artscapes.ca/blog/2010/09/24/new-painting-waiting/

    From an abandoned farmhouse in the Muskoka region, this house and particularly this room have been the subject of many paintings of which this is my favourite. The house has a fascinating history and the characters are still alive in it. The wooden floors and peeling paint seem to put this place in an in-between state of loneliness, memory and expectation. For me, painting is a form of storytelling and this one, I like to think, invites volumes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Low Tide"
    Vinayak Deshmukh

    Blog: Vinayak Deshmukh Art
    http://www.vd-art.blogspot.com/

    Blogpost:
    Date: November 17, 2010 (Wednesday)
    Title: "Low Tide"
    http://vd-art.blogspot.com/2010/11/low-tide.html

    I love painting boats, especially in watercolour. I aim to achieve boldnes, spontaneity and a sense of "thereness" in my landscapes and I believe I have been able to achieve that to some extent in this painting. The loneliness of the single boat (as separated from the group of boats in the distance) in a way speaks about how we all must learn to endure being alone and all by ourselves at some points of time in our lives.

    Thank you for this opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Katherine, perhaps I could enter this for the best blog project. From 2010 to 2011 I have been painting the city of Liverpool in a project entitled, ‘May I Start, May I Finish’, as May is the month I started. Up to now I have averaged about 10 to 15 images a month. I am just over half way through the project and have over a hundred small paintings of the city all measuring 20cm x 14cm. I like the nature of the work in that I hope I am in the main replacing the iconic in favour of a more typical Liverpool. The unsung, and in many cases beautiful, yet so often neglected aspects of the city are being painted. Where these iconic images do appear they will be used a backdrop for the life that goes on around them.
    Work title, Regent Road.
    Created Aug 5th 2010
    Artist, Steve strode.

    http://stevestrode.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-08-15T21%3A29%3A00%2B01%3A00&max-results=7

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would like to nominate a watercolor painting by Carol King “Water tower with graffiti” from her series of water towers of New York -
    http://carolking.wordpress.com/2010/09/05/another-week-another-water-tower/

    Carol lives in New York City and paints unassuming and pointed street scenes that often are full of wry humor. New York water towers are Carol’s latest portraying of her hometown. I am fascinated with New York, but the privilege to see the famous city not via a guidebook or a tour bus, but through the eyes of an artist and a New-Yorker makes it very special.

    Carol has agreed for her painting to be nominated and displayed on MaM. Check out Carol’s blog http://carolking.wordpress.com for more paintings of New York.

    Alex Zonis
    http://pencilscribbles.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fall in the Moraine
    by John Hulsey
    http://www.hulseytrustystudios.com/john_hulsey_gallery.html

    One of my very favorite paintings of John's done in Rocky Mountain National Park, CO.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ann - the Making A Mark Awards are focused on art blogs and blogging art

    Art on a website is not eligible. The only art which is eligible is an image on a blog with a unique post URL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    For the Landscape category I am nominating Jeffery Boron’s painting “Island Sunset” from March 24, 2010.

    Jeffery has a very distinct style and I am drawn to how he combines color and pattern to stylize his view of the world around him. This particular painting has all the characteristics I love in his work – energy, color, contrast of values, and an appealing sense of lightness and appreciation of nature.

    Link: http://jeffreyjboron.blogspot.com/2010/03/island-sunset-canadian-west-coast.html
    Title: Island Sunset

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terug narr Overhagen.
    Rene Plein Air
    June 22 2010
    http://painting-pleinair.blogspot.com/2010/06/back-to-overhagen-velp-holland.html

    I love Renes work, he really works hard for his paintings and consistantly gives us a beautiful taste of Holland with his use of colour and depictions of the landscape. This painting was one that I almost brought, which for me is almost unheard of, being an impoverished artist, but it has stuck in my mind as such a lovely capturing of a corner of a garden, perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all.
    You can delete me from the nomination, ... I have already won! :-D
    With such a nice nomination comment from an artist I admire soo
    much it can't get better then that.

    Thank you so much Sarah! (dikke knuf)

    This is very hard to choose
    Internet offers soo much good artists and even more lovely artworks.
    choosing one above an other is just not fair, ... but when I look back
    in my head which one stuck there the longest it would be work from
    Antti Rautiola, an artist living in Helsinki Finland, father of two kids
    which makes me choose him. His love for those two children shows
    soo much in his work that sometimes it even makes me think, ...

    within his work I would like to nominate his "The missing piece" painting
    It has exactly that what I was talking about and in such a simplified way.
    pure, simple and yet with such an impact it surely will stuck into everyone's mind.

    Antti for me.

    Although this could also be placed on the portrait/figures section Antti makes plein air work as well, ... (You may decide that Katherine.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd like to nominate Terry Miura's painting Up to the Blue, 14 x 21 oil, posted Dec 16, 2010
    http://bit.ly/eXQLay
    Studio Notes
    http://terrymiura.blogspot.com
    Terry's masterful landscapes make me wish I was a landscape painter (living next door to him so I could peer over his shoulder for tutorials). I love this piece because of the wonderful crop of the blue sky, and the simplified brushwork in the squinty sun drenched buildings, and the long shadows thrown by the buildings on one side, and the asymmetrical and boldly painted street trees in the foreground, linking fingers across the street, and barely giving up the suggestion of parked cars underneath. Oh, and that yellow van-bus in the center. Mwah! It just cinches it. Awesome painting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Katherine
    As you have invited artists to nominate their own work - here goes...

    Title: Above the Ridgeway
    Artist: Roy Connelly
    Blog: http://www.royconnelly.com/blog/
    Post: 24/12/2010 Plein Air Snow Paintings

    http://www.royconnelly.com/blog/archives/1363

    The recent snow has been an absolute gift to painters. I painted this on Christmas Eve 2010. The location is just outside Christmas Common in the Chiltern Hills. The glimmer of light above the horizon caught my eye first and then as I was painting, the sheep came wandering over the side of the hill. Most people would have downed tools for the holidays by now but as I painted the last light of the day I felt privileged to be a part of such a magical scene.

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS HAVE BEEN CLOSED AGAIN because of too much spam.
My blog posts are always posted to my Making A Mark Facebook Page and you can comment there if you wish.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.